Top 25 MS-DRGs
The following Excel Pivot Tables were developed using the patient discharge data file aggregated at the hospital level. The files display the total number of discharges, average charge per stay, average charge per day and average length of stay for the top 25 Medicare-Severity Diagnosis Related Groups (MS-DRGs) for each hospital and for the state as a whole.
On October 1, 2007 the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) replaced the current 538 Diagnosis Related Groups (DRGs) with 745 MS-DRGs. The grouper software is updated by CMS at the beginning of each federal fiscal year (October 1st); because of this change the Top 25 MS-DRG reports are based on discharges from October 1st of one year through September 31st of the following year.
Excel Pivot Tables
Three Easy Steps to Use Pivot Profiles
- Download Pivot Profile, preferably to your desktop.
- From Pivot worksheet, select variables using drop-down boxes.
- Go to Profile worksheet to view results.
If you need technical assistance, please call HIRC at (916) 326-3802.
Files formatted for earlier versions of Excel may be obtained by request to HIRC.
- Oct. 1, 2011 - Sept. 30, 2012 (MS-DRG Version 29-30) MS Excel 5.6 MB
- Oct. 1, 2010 - Sept. 30, 2011 (MS-DRG Version 28-29) MS Excel 5.42 MB
- Oct. 1, 2009 - Sept. 30, 2010 (MS-DRG Version 27-28) MS Excel 5.38 MB
- Oct. 1, 2008 - Sept. 30, 2009 (MS-DRG Version 26-27) MS Excel 5.47 MB
- Jan 1 2008 - Sept 30 2008 (MS-DRG Version 25) MS Excel 5.41 MB
- 2007 (DRG Version 24) MS Excel 5.5 MB
- 2006 (DRG Version 23) MS Excel 5.44 MB
- 2005 (DRG Version 22) MS Excel 5.42 MB
- 2004 (DRG Version 21) MS Excel 5.51 MB
- 2003 (DRG Version 20) MS Excel 5.56 MB
- 2002 (DRG Version 19) MS Excel 5.62 MB
- 2001 (DRG Version 18) MS Excel 5.76 MB
- 2000 (DRG Version 17) MS Excel 5.87 MB
PDF Reports and Benchmark MS-DRGs
- Go to Top 25 MS-DRG PDF Reports on Healthcare Atlas
- Go to Benchmark MS-DRG Excel Pivot Profiles
- Back To Top of Page
Attention Data Users: Please exercise caution when interpreting OSHPD data. The use of improper assumptions and analytical methods may result in erroneous or misleading conclusions. Conclusions drawn from OSHPD data are the sole responsibility of the user. Users should be aware that financial and utilization data products are based on a dynamic database that is constantly being updated. As a result, the same data item for a facility may change over time or be different between products.
If you are unable to download ZIP or EXE files, please e-mail the OSHPDWebmaster.
Extracted files can be e-mailed to users at no charge.