Health Professions Education Scholarship Program
Who may apply?
To be eligible for the Health Professions Education Scholarship, the applicant must:
- be currently accepted or enrolled into a field of Dentist, Dental Hygienists, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives, Physician Assistant or Clinical Nurse Specialists in California
- be free from any other service obligation
- have valid legal presence and ability to work and provide care in the state of California
- graduate after January 31, 2014
- be willing to work in a medically underserved area for two years
- submit a complete application that is postmarked on or before October 1, 2013
Those awarded the Health Professions Education Scholarship may receive up to $10,000. If awarded, recipients agree to a two-year service obligation practicing direct patient care at a qualified facility in California. Qualified facilities include those designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources Administration (HRSA) as a medically underserved area (MUA), health professional shortage area (HPSA), county, state or veterans facility. To determine if a facility qualifies, follow the instructions here.