Health Professions Loan Repayment Program
Who may apply?
To be eligible for the Health Professions Education Loan Repayment, the applicant must:
- be currently licensed as a Dentist, Dental Hygienists, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives, Physician Assistant or Clinical Nurse Specialists in California
- be practicing as a licensed Dentist, Dental Hygienists, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives, Physician Assistant or Clinical Nurse Specialists providing direct patient care in a Medically Underserved Area (MUA), Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), County, State, prison, or Veteran's facility (to find out if your facility qualifies, follow the instructions here)
- have outstanding educational debt from a commercial or U.S. governmental lending institution
- be free from any other service obligation
- have valid legal presence and ability to work and provide care in the state of California
- be willing to work in a medically underserved area for two years
- submit a complete application that is postmarked on or before October 1, 2013
Those awarded the Health Professions Education Loan Repayment may receive up to $20,000. If awarded, recipients agree to a two-year service obligation practicing direct patient care at a qualified facility in California. Qualified facilities include those designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources Administration (HRSA) as a medically underserved area (MUA), health professional shortage area (HPSA), county, state or veterans facility. To determine if a facility qualifies, follow the instructions here.