Health Professions Loan Repayment Program
Who may apply?
To be eligible for the Health Professions Education Loan Repayment, the applicant must:
- be licensed and practicing as a:
- Certified Nurse Midwife
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Dental Hygienist
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
- be providing direct patient care 32+ hours or more a week
- be working in a qualified facility
- to see if a site is a qualified facility, search here: GEO. (utilize chart below for qualified designations associated to each profession)
- be in good standing with respective Board or Committee
- have outstanding educational debt from a commercial or U.S. governmental lending institution
- be free from any other service obligation, including other HPEF programs
- have valid legal presence and ability to work and provide care in the state of California
- be willing to continue working in a medically underserved area for twenty-four (24) months
- complete and submit your application through CalREACH by application deadline
Those awarded the Health Professions Education Loan Repayment may receive *up to $50,000. If awarded, recipients agree to continue practicing full time, direct patient care at a qualified facility in California for a twenty-four (24) month service obligation. Qualified facilities include those designated by The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources Administration (HRSA) or California’s Shortage Designation Program, a liaison to the federal Shortage Designation Branch (SDB) of Health Resources and Services Administration as Medically Underserved Area (MUA), Medically Underserved Population (MUP), Health Professional Shortage Area- Primary Care (HPSA-PC), Health Professional Shortage Area- Dental (HPSA-D), Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA), and Registered Nurse Shortage Area (RNSA) . To see if your site is a qualified facility, search here: GEO. In addition to the Federal and CA state designations, any state, county, veteran, or correctional facility qualifies as well as Indian Health Centers and Federally Qualified Health Centers. See chart of qualified designations associated to each profession.
*The Health Professions Education Scholarship program is funded by donations and grants. Some professions may not be eligible for an award based on available funding. We encourage all individuals to apply.
|HPLRP||Certified Nurse Midwife||Clinical Nurse Specialist||Dental Hygienist||Dentist||Nurse Practitioner||Physician Assistant|
|Indian Health Center||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)||X||X||X||X||X||X|