California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
The California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) was congressionally authorized in 1987 under the U.S. Public Health Services Act Title III, Section 3381(a)-(1) (42 U.S.C.) Section 254q-1(a)-(i). Learn more...
- SLRP increases the number of primary care physicians, dentists, dental hygienists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, pharmacists and mental/behavioral health providers practicing in federally designated California Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs).
- SLRP authorizes repayment of qualified educational loans for eligible primary health care professionals, who must commit to an initial 2-year, full-time or 4-year, half-time service agreement to provide direct patient care in a primary, dental, or mental health HPSA.
- SLRP requires the providers site to: match the award, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, with non-federal contributions (directly or through donations from public or private entities), in addition to the providers prevailing salary and must located on the SLRP Certified Eligible Site List.
- SLRP is federally funded through a grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Bureau of Health Professions (BHPR), National Health Serive Corps (NHSC) and is administered by the State of California’s Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD).
The 2017 provider application will be available August 1 – October 1, 2017, via CalREACH. Only electronic applications will be accepted and no applications will be accepted after October 1, 2017.
If you have any current questions regarding the SLRP program, please send all inquiries through the SLRP email address: SLRP@oshpd.ca.gov.
Eligible healthcare professionals may receive loan repayment for qualified, unpaid educational loans from qualifying institutions by: committing to an initial two-year full-time or four-year half-time service obligation; provide direct patient care in an outpatient setting in a designated HPSA qualifying facility; and enter into a Grant Agreement with the OSHPD.
- Complete List of Eligibility Requirements
- Initial and Extension Provider Award Amounts
- Pharmacists (PharmD) Guidelines
Certified Eligible Sites (CES) Requirements, List and Application
In order for a site to be eligible to host SLRP providers, it must:
- be located in a federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA);
- be a public or private, not-for-profit, out-patient facility;
- match SLRP award, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, in addition to;
- pay provider a prevailing wage;
- provide services on a free or reduced fee schedule basis to individuals at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
A site's approved application is certified for three years from date of approval. Site CES applications are available year-round and can be found by creating a username and password by visiting CalREACH.
The approved SLRP CES list provides the sites name, address and contact information for primary care, mental/behavioral health and dental health care facilities:
If your site is not listed, contact your site representative to submit a CES application. Individuals cannot apply for this application. *SLRP does not maintain a vacancy list for job placements.
National Health Service Corps (NHSC)
The National Health Service Corps is a federally administered program which is a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The purpose of the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is to recruit and retain medical, nursing, dental, and behavioral/mental health clinicians in eligible communities of need designated as health professional shortage areas.
The next NHSC loan repayment application cycle is scheduled for January 2016.
Steps to determining a site's eligibility:
- First, determine the site's census tract: http://www.ffiec.gov/geocode/
- Next, determine if the census tract is located in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA): http://hpsafind.hrsa.gov/HPSASearch.aspx
- NHSC Phone Number: 1-800-221-9393
- NHSC Homepage
- NHSC Program Portal (for applicants, participants, and sites)
- NHSC Jobs Center
- NHSC Loan Repayment Program - 2015 Application and Program Guidance
- NHSC Site Application Training and Overview (also contains information about site and provider eligibility)
- NHSC Site Administrator Portal User Guide
- NHSC Service Site Reference Guide
- List of NHSC Approved Sites
- Health Professionals Education Foundation Telephone:(916) 326-3640 and/or 1-800-773-1669
This page was last updated on Tuesday, January 3, 2017.
Kyra Van Den Bogert, Program Officer
Telephone: (916) 326-3632
Liz Martin, Manager
Telephone: (916) 326-3706
CalREACH AGATE Help Desk Contacts
Contact AGATE Help Desk only for technical, system issues. For all program or application content, contact your SLRP representative.
AGATE Help Desk Availability
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Arizona)
NHSC Site Application Contacts
Workforce Development Programs
- Healthcare Workforce Development Division
- Health Careers Training Program (HCTP)
- Healthcare Workforce Clearinghouse Program
- Health Workforce Pilot Projects Program (HWPP)
- California Primary Care Office (PCO)
- County Medical Services Program (CMSP) Loan Repayment Program (LRP)
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) / California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
- Shortage Designation Program (SDP)
- Song-Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Programs
- Research, Policy and Planning GIS/Data System
- Workforce Education and Training Program (WET)
- Health Care Reform
- Grantee Resources
- Site Map
- Healthcare Pathways