The Song-Brown Health Care Workforce Training Act (Song-Brown Program) was established in 1973 under the Health and Safety Code Section 128200-128241 of the California Health and Safety Code to increase the number of family physicians to provide needed medical services to the people of California. The program:
- Encourages universities and primary care health professionals to provide healthcare in medically underserved areas, and
- Provides financial support to family practice residency, family nurse practitioner, physician assistant, and registered nurse (RN) education programs throughout California
The Song-Brown program is aided by the California Healthcare Workforce Policy Commission (CHWPC). CHWPC is a 15-member citizen advisory board that provides expert guidance and statewide perspectives on health professional education issues, reviews applications and recommends contract awards to the Director of OSHPD. The CHWPC meets (go to Public Meetings) four times annually.
OSHPD provides administrative support to the CHWPC and the accredited training programs by executing contracts, facilitating Public Meetings, performing site visits, and assisting with periodic review and updates of Medical Service Study Areas.
Annual Application Process
Accredited training programs must submit applications on a periodic basis to continue to receive program funding. At present, 30 California Family Practice Residency Programs and 13 Physician Assistant/Family Nurse Practitioner Programs receive on-going support from the Song-Brown program. Song-Brown currently funds 32 registered nurse education programs (ADNs, BSNs and MSNs) to improve access to healthcare services. The Song-Brown Program does not provide funding to individual students.
- CHWPC Resources
- Health Careers Training Program (HCTP)
- Health Workforce Pilot Projects Program (HWPP)
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) / California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
- California Primary Care Office (PCO)
- Rural Health Services Unit (RHSU)
- Shortage Designation Program
- Song-Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Programs
- Research, Policy and Planning GIS/Data System
- Health Care Reform
- Site Map
- Healthcare Pathways
400 R Street, Suite 330
Sacramento, CA 95811-6213
Phone: (916) 326-3700
Fax: (916) 322-2588