Health Care Reform / Workforce Development
Health Care Reform and OSHPD's Role
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) has brought and will continue to bring a substantial proportion of California's diverse uninsured persons into the state's health delivery system. California currently has health workforce shortages in numerous health personnel categories and a health workforce that lack cultural and linguistic diversity to meet the needs throughout the state. As such, OSHPD is continually engaging in activities that aim to increase California's health workforce and ultimately increase health access for all Californians. In 2010, OSHPD partnered with the California Workforce Investment Board (CWIB) to aid in the development of a comprehensive strategy for workforce development in California. OSHPD and CWIB's work was focused on the health professions education, training, and workforce development provisions in Title V of ACA and included the establishment of the Health Workforce Development Council to guide the preparation of a comprehensive strategy that can be implemented statewide and regionally. OSHPD has now transitioned to the role of Council member.
HCR Unit Activities
The Health Care Reform (HCR) Unit engages in activities that focus on advancing and facilitating the implementation of health care reform in California as it relates to healthcare workforce policies and programs which include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the advancement of healthcare workforce development efforts in response to Healthcare Reform.
HCR Work Plan
- Serving as a member of California's Health Workforce Development Council (HWDC):
- Serving as a member of HWDC's Career Pathways Sub-Committee which developed career pathways and recommendations for 20 healthcare professions with the aim to strengthen the supply, distribution and diversity of the healthcare workforce.
- Conducting research and analysis on policy issues pertaining to health care reform and workforce development
- Developing research briefs, point papers, and literature reviews on issues that impact healthcare workforce development
- Monitoring federal health workforce development related grants, notifying California stakeholders of grant opportunities, and providing letters of support and data resources to California organizations applying for federal health workforce grants
- Monitoring and analyzing state and federal legislation, rulemakings and implementation actions on the ACA that may impact healthcare workforce
- Nominating California stakeholders to federal advisory committees and councils
- Providing notifications of federal council and commission meetings that impact healthcare workforce development
- Supporting other statewide efforts related to health care workforce by providing subject matter assistance and serving as a liaison to other OSHPD programs
Health Care Funding Resources: Private/Non-profit Organizations: Provides information on Private/Non-profit entities that fund organizations that aim to improve different elements of health care in California.
Health Workforce Development Resources: Provides information on funding opportunities offered to students, health professionals, institutions and organizations throughout the State of California.
Request for Letter of Support from State:
If you are interested in applying for a grant and would like to receive a letter of support from the State, please send your request to HCRWorkforce@oshpd.ca.gov. In your letter please include, the addressee, the amount of your grant request, your grant objectives and any other information you would like the State to consider. Also, please include the deadline date for your grant application submission.
There are no meeting announcements at this time.
- The Bureau of Health Workforce (BHW): FY 2016 Grants Bulletin available here
- MHSA WET Five-Year Plan 2014-2019 — FINAL
- FY2014 Budget Proposal
- National Rural Health Association: Various compendiums of workforce development in rural areas.
- Regional Focus Groups Reports
- Regional Focus Groups Attendees List: Lists provide the names and organizations of all the focus groups' participants separated by meeting locations.
- Los Angeles
Research / Best Practices
- Grow Your Own Healthcare Workforce
- Physical and Behavioral Healthcare Integration Workforce Development
- Locum Tenens Overview and Resources
- Retaining Incumbent Health Care Workers
- Business Case for Health Workforce Diversity
- Making the Case for Health Workforce Pipeline Programs
- Best Practices in Health Workforce Development
OSHPD Health Care Reform Activities Update - June 1, 2012: Since 2010, the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) engaged in a planning process to gather health workforce development recommendations for the implementation of Health Care Reform in California. During that time, OSHPD provided staff support to the Health Workforce Development Council (Council), which identified over 120 recommendations. OSHPD has now transitioned as a Council member to begin the implementation of the Council's recommendations. OSHPD has begun to implement the recommendations through current programs within the Healthcare Workforce Development Division (HWDD) and the Health Professions Education Foundation (HPEF). This monthly bulletin outlines OSHPD's activities around the implementation of the Council's recommendations.
Health Care Innovations Challenge Technical Assistance Call: On December 15, 2011 the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development In partnership with the California Workforce Investment Board hosted a technical assistance call for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation- Health Care Innovations Challenge Grant. This call was used to inform prospective applicants of the recommendations that have come out of the State's Health Care Reform activities and how they can possibly be integrated in the letter of intent and ultimately grant application. OSHPD and CWIB also informed stakeholders on what role the state can play to support their recommendations.
Grant Stategies Alignment with State Recommendations
Technical Assistance Call Summary
August 5, 2010, Stakeholder Update Call: Provides information from the August 5th stakeholder update call led by Workgroup Co-Chairs, Dr. David Carlisle (Director, OSHPD) and Barbara Halsey (Executive Director, CWIB). The call focused on the State's activities since the May 27th Preparing for Health Care Reform Convening in Sacramento.
Planning Grant Application Submission:
Provides an overview and project organization chart for the State Health Care Workforce Planning Grant. On July 19, 2010, the CWIB in collaboration with the OSHPD submitted a grant application to HRSA for the State Health Care Workforce Planning Grant. The application requests $150,000 over a 1-year period to support the development of a coherent and comprehensive health workforce development plan for California. HRSA will announce grant funding decisions by September 30, 2010.
Breakout Session Responses May 27, 2010: Provides information obtained from public and private stakeholders who participated in the May 27th convening. This session provided an opportunity for discussion amongst key stakeholders of the Health Care Reform Workforce Workgroup with public and private stakeholders to discuss how California's implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will affect the State's health care workforce. This session also provided insight on how health care reform could change California's health workforce development practices such as recruitment, training, and placement.
Preparing for Health Care Reform: A Dialogue on Health Care Workforce Development: Provides background information on the purpose of the Health Care Reform Workforce Workgroup's May 27th convening and the convening objectives.
Healthcare Reform & Workforce Development
If you have any questions or comments, please contact HCRWorkforce@oshpd.ca.gov
- Healthcare Workforce Development Division
- Health Careers Training Program (HCTP)
- Healthcare Workforce Clearinghouse Program
- Health Workforce Pilot Projects Program (HWPP)
- California Primary Care Office (PCO)
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) / California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
- Shortage Designation Program (SDP)
- Song-Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Programs
- Research, Policy and Planning GIS/Data System
- Workforce Education and Training Program (WET)
- Health Care Reform
- Grantee Resources
- Site Map
- Healthcare Pathways
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
400 R Street, Suite 330
Sacramento, CA 95811-6213
Phone: (916) 326-3700
Fax: (916) 322-2588