California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
The SLRP application cycle is now closed. Our next cycle opens in the fall of 2016.
Site applications will remain open year round for electronic submittal at CalREACH.
The SLRP was congressionally authorized in 1987 under the U.S. Public Health Services Act Title lll, Section 3381(a)-(1) (42 U.S.C.) Section 254q-1(a)-(i)). Learn more...
- SLRP increases and retains the number of primary care physicians, dentists, dental hygienists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, pharmacists and mental and behavioral health providers practicing in federally designated California Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) and on the approved SLRP Certified Eligible Site List
- SLRP authorizes repayment of qualified educational loans for eligible primary care health professionals, who in turn must commit to practice a minimum of two-years (for initial award) at full-time or half-time status while providing direct patient care in primary care, dental and mental and behavioral health services in public or private not-for-profit outpatient facilities. Award amounts vary for new and extension applicants.
- SLRP requires the provider's site to match the SLRP award, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, with non-federal contributions (directly or through donations from public or private entities), in addition to salary, and must be on the approved SLRP CES list for three-years.
- SLRP is federally funded through a grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA, Bureau of Health Profession (BHP), National Health Service Corps (NHSC) and is administered by the State of California's, Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD)
SLRP 2015 awards will be announced in November of 2015!
If you have any current questions regarding the SLRP program, please send all inquiries through the SLRP email address: SLRP@oshpd.ca.gov.
SLRP PROVIDER ELIGIBLITY AND CALREACH APPLICATION
Eligible healthcare professionals may receive loan repayment for qualified unpaid educational loans by practicing in a HPSA; delivering primary health care services; providing direct patient care in an outpatient public or not-for-profit clinic and in an approved SLRP Certified Eligible Site (CES); be willing to commit to an initial two-year full-time or half-time status service obligation and may be eligible to apply for additional years of support; and be willing to enter into a Grant Agreement with OSHPD.
CERTIFIED ELIGIBLE SITE LISTS AND SITE CES CALREACH APPLICATION
For a site to participate and to host SLRP providers, the site must be located in a federally designated health professional shortage area (HPSA); be a public or private not-for-profit/outpatient facility; be willing to match the SLRP repayment award, on a dollar-for dollar basis, in addition to salary; pay prevailing wages; enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with OSHPD; and be on the approved SLRP Certified Eligible Site (CES) list.
The approved SLRP Certified Site List(s) provides the sites name, address and contact information.
- SLRP Certified Eligible Site List: Primary Care, Dental & Mental Health
If your site is not listed, contact your site representative to submit a CES application to become an approved site. Site applications are open year round. The site must renew their application every three years to continue participation in SLRP. Individuals cannot apply for this application. (SLRP does not maintain a vacancy list of broker job placements.
To complete the CES application, access the online CalREACH system:
- Accepting Year Round Applications! CalREACH Certified Eligible Site Electronic Application
- CalREACH Site Instructions
CalREACH AGATE HELP DESK CONTACTS
Contact AGATE Help Desk for all system questions/issues and inability to access your Username or Password.
AGATE Help Desk Availability
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Arizona)
- Healthcare Workforce Clearinghouse
- CHWPC Resources
- Health Careers Training Program (HCTP)
- Health Workforce Pilot Projects Program (HWPP)
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) / California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)
- California Primary Care Office (PCO)
- Shortage Designation Program
- Song-Brown Healthcare Workforce Training Programs
- Research, Policy and Planning GIS/Data System
- Health Care Reform
- Site Map
- Healthcare Pathways
Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development
400 R Street, Suite 330
Sacramento, CA 95811-6213
Phone: (916) 326-3700
Fax: (916) 322-2588