The Facilities Development Division formed the Seismic Compliance Unit (SCU) after the passage of Senate Bill 1953 (SB 1953). This Unit is comprised of structural engineers and senior architects responsible for review and approval of the following submittals to OSHPD:
- Seismic Evaluation Reports (structural and non-structural)
- Seismic Performance Ratings (SPC/NPC)
- Compliance Plans
- Extension requests
- Design criteria and approvals of voluntary seismic compliance projects
- SPC-4D Regulations
*For submittal of projects that involve construction, use the eServices Portal.
Senate Bill 1953 (SB 1953) was introduced on February 25, 1994. It was signed into law on September 21, 1994 and filed by the Secretary of State on September 22, 1994. The bill was an amendment to and furtherance of the Alfred E. Alquist Hospital Seismic Safety Act of 1983 (Alquist Act). SB 1953 (Chapter 740, 1994), is now chaptered into statute in Sections 130000 through 130070 of the Alfred E. Alquist Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act, and part of the California Health and Safety Code. The regulations developed as a result of this statute are deemed to be emergency regulations and became effective upon approval by the California Building Standards Commission and filing with the Secretary of State on March 18, 1998. See an overview of the SB1953 Program.
Seismic Ratings for California Hospitals, Structural Performance Categories
SPC ratings range from 1 to 5 with SPC 1 assigned to buildings posing significant risk of collapse following a strong earthquake and SPC 5 assigned to buildings reasonably capable of providing services to the public following a strong earthquake. Where SPC ratings have not been verified by the Office of Statewide Health, Planning and Development (OSHPD), the rating index is followed by the letter 's'.
- Hospital Seismic Performance Ratings List of Buildings
- Summary of Requests for HAZUS Reassessments
- Earthquake Emergency Response Plan
For a sample NPC-2 reconciliation report, please refer to the following:
- 2016 Title 24, Part 1, Chapter 6
- 2013 Title 24, Part 1, Chapter 6
- 2010 Title 24, Part 1, Chapter 6
- June 22, 2012 Emergency Supplement - 2010 Title 24, Part 1, Chapters 6 & 7
Code Application Notice (CANs)
- CAN 1-6-220.127.116.11.4 - Removal of Acute Care Services
- CAN 1-11.1 -Non-Structural Performance Categories
Policy Intent Notice (PINs)
- PIN 13 - Lighting System Retrofit
- PIN 32 - NPC-2 Seismic Bracing Upgrades (SB 1953)
- PIN 45 - converting a Senate Bill 1661 Project to a Senate Bill 499 Project
- PIN 52 - Requests for Seismic Compliance Extension Under SB 90
- PIN 53 - Requests for Seismic Compliance Extension Under SB 499 and SB 1661
Ground Motion Maps
- California Hospital Data
- Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Data
- Facility Information for Hospitals in Google Earth OR ArcGIS Explorer (KMZ file)
For questions or comments related to the Seismic Compliance Program, please eMail the Seismic Compliance Unit.
For Special Seismic Certification of equipment, See Preapproval Programs.
The Seismic Compliance Unit does not process Special Seismic Certification Preapprovals.
This page was last updated on Friday, April 7, 2017.
- FDD Home
- About FDD
- Announcements/Updated Reports
- eServices Information
- Preapproval Programs
- Seismic Compliance
- Hospital Inspector Certification Program (HICP)
- Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs)
- Regulation Codes and Policies
- Code Application Notices (CANs) and Policy Intent Notices (PINs)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Forms, Applications, and Reminder Lists
- Project Status Reports
- Training & Education
- Additional Information
- FDD Site Map