Seismic Compliance Unit
Senate Bill 90 (SB 90) (Chapter 19, Statutes of 2011): Amends Section 130060 of the Health and Safety Code.
On Friday, June 22, 2012, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services approved the Hospital Quality Assurance Fee (HQAF) Program authorized by Senate Bill (SB) 335, (Chapter 286, Statutes of 2011). Federal approval of the HQAF Program enacts the seismic provision in Health and Safety Code 130060 as amended by SB 90 (Chapter 19, Statutes of 2011).
SB 90 allows a hospital to seek an extension for seismic compliance for its SPC-1 buildings up to seven years based on three elements:
- The structural integrity of the building.
- The loss of essential hospital services to the community if the hospital is closed.
- Financial hardship.
OSHPD submitted proposed regulations to the Building Standards Commission (BSC) to implement the provisions of SB 90 as Emergency Regulations. The regulations have been approved by the BSC and are enforceable. FDD will now begin the process of reviewing the SB 90 seismic extension applications that it has received from hospitals.
For questions or comments related to Senate Bill 90, please eMail the Seismic Compliance Unit.
This page was last updated on Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
- FDD Home
- About FDD
- Announcements/Updated Reports
- eServices Information
- Preapproval Programs
- Seismic Compliance
- Hospital Inspector Certification Program (HICP)
- Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs)
- Regulation Codes and Policies
- Code Application Notices (CANs) and Policy Intent Notices (PINs)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Forms, Applications, and Reminder Lists
- Project Status Reports
- Training & Education
- Additional Information
- FDD Site Map