Quality of Care and Outcomes
Hospital Inpatient Discharge Data
On a semi-annual basis (every six months), hospitals submit abstracted information from individual patient records which include data on the patient’s zip code, gender, birthdate, and preferred language; status at admission; diagnoses, treatments/procedures, total charges, and expected source of payment. To protect individual patient confidentiality, data are aggregated into public use files and data products which are available on an annual basis. OSHPD also uses these data to generate state/county level and individual hospital risk-adjusted outcome (quality) reports and to provide the basis for special studies and reports.
Data Pulse - Why Use Risk-Adjustment?
AHRQ Quality Indicators
- AHRQ Area-Level Inpatient Quality Indicators
- AHRQ Area-Level Patient Safety Indicators
- AHRQ Area-Level Pediatric Quality Indicators
- AHRQ Area-Level Prevention Quality Indicators
- AHRQ Hospital Inpatient Mortality Indicators for California
- AHRQ Hospital Volume and Utilization Indicators for California
Other Quality of Care
These reports, based on data from OSHPD’s Hospital Inpatient Discharge database, are intended to help move the healthcare system toward providing higher quality, more effective and efficient, and less costly patient care.
- Cancer Surgery Volume
- Preventable Hospitalizations: Statewide & County Trends
- Racial & Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare
- Bariatric Surgery in California Hospitals Query Tool
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Outcome Data
On an annual basis (calendar year), hospitals that provide coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries submit abstracted information from individual patient records which include data on. OSHPD uses these data to calculate hospital (annual) and individual surgeon (biennial) risk-adjusted outcomes (operative mortality, post-operative stroke, and unplanned hospital readmissions within 30 days) and to produce quality ratings.
- CABG Outcomes Report – Surgeons and Hospitals
- CABG Outcomes Report – Hospitals Only
- CABG Trends
- The State of Cardiac Revascularization Outcomes Reporting, Spring 2011
- CABG – Impact of Public Reporting
- CABG Report Query Tool
Other Risk-Adjusted Outcomes Reports
These outcomes reports, based on data from OSHPD’s Hospital Inpatient Discharge database, provide risk-adjusted hospital quality outcomes for a variety of conditions with high rates of morbidity and/or mortality.
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia Outcomes Report
- Heart Attack Outcomes Report
- Hip Fracture Repair Outcomes Report
- Intensive Care Unit Outcomes Report
- Ischemic Stroke Hospital Outcomes Report
This page was last updated on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.