Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program
Who may apply?
To be considered for an award, you must:
- Be an allopathic or osteopathic physician or surgeon
- Be free of any contractual service obligations (i.e the National Health Service Corps Federal Loan Repayment Program or other financial incentive programs)
- Have outstanding educational debt from a government or commercial lending institution
- Have a valid, unrestricted MD or DO license to practice medicine in California
- Be currently employed or have accepted employment as a primary care doctor or as a specialist at a qualifying practice site in a Health Professional Shortage Area-Primary Care (HPSA-PC) or Primary Care Shortage Area (PCSA) in California
- Commit to providing full-time medical services in a HPSA-PC or PCSA for a minimum of three (3) years
The Steven M. Thompson Physician Corps Loan Repayment Program encourages recently licensed physicians and surgeons to practice in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) and Primary Care Shortage Areas (PCSA) in California. The program repays up to $105,000 in educational loans in exchange for full-time service for a minimum of three (3) years.
You must confirm eligibility of your worksite by using the location search below and under either Section A or B of the Certification of Practice Setting (COPS) form. To complete the location search, choose Steven M Thompson Loan Repayment Program from the dropdown list below and enter an address into the search bar to determine whether the worksite falls in a qualifying shortage area.
If you currently work at a Tribal Health Clinic or Federally Qualified Healthcare Center (FQHC), you may bypass the location eligibility search below as your worksite automatically qualifies with a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) designation. Please proceed to confirming your worksite eligibility under either Section A or B of the COPS form.
If you work in Rural Healthcare Center, please contact HPEF program staff at 916-326-3640 to confirm your worksite's HPSA designation status. Once your worksite's designation is confirmed, please proceed to confirming eligibility under either Section A or B of the COPS form.
Location eligibility search
Choose a program in the dropdown list. Enter an address into the search bar below to determine whether the worksite falls in a qualifying shortage area. If the worksite in question does not show as qualifying in the search bar, but is a veterans, county or state facility and/or federally qualified health center or Indian health center, it may also qualify. If this is the case, please contact a member of our program staff to verify.
Search is loading...
This page was last updated on Thursday, May 10, 2018.
The Health Professions Education Foundation (HPEF) is a state non-profit established in 1987.
HPEF has awarded more than 14,721 scholarships and loan repayments totaling more than $169.7 million to California health professionals serving in all 58 counties in areas of unmet need.